Friday 12 September 2014

Persistence of Vision & My Thaumatrope

Persistence of vision is the phenomenon of the eye by which an afterimage is thought to persist for approximately one twenty-fifth of a second on the retina. The myth of persistence of vision is the belief that human perception of motion (brain centred) is the result of persistence of vision (eye centred).






Sarah Kavanagh - 3809       Persistence of Vision & My Thaumatrope          11/09/14



Materials

- Fish/Bowl Thaumatrope Template

- Cardboard

- A Straw

- Selotape

- Scissors

Persistence of Vision


I made this Thaumatrope from a template I found online. I coloured in the template and stuck them to a piece of card the same size as the two pictures. I then stuck a folded straw to the inside of the cardboard.

::Desktop:IMG_9967.JPG
My thaumatrope
Persistence of vision is the phenomenon of the eye by which an afterimage is thought to persist for approximately one twenty-fifth of a second on the retina. The myth of persistence of vision is the belief that human perception of motion (brain centred) is the result of persistence of vision (eye centred


It is very interesting to see the persistence of vision here as you spin the straw round in your hands. The fish seems to swim though the fish bowl very fast.















No comments:

Post a Comment